Sunday, October 25, 2015

Blog Post 8

In the future, it is a goal of mine to be a high school history teacher. When I think about what I want my classroom to look like on a daily basis, I picture an environment where learning is being supported by events happening outside of the classroom. This is supported by Ayers idea of "Building Bridges". There are different ways to interpret this theory. In my opinion "Building Bridges" means connecting things that are being talked about in the classroom, with things that are happening outside the classroom. More times than we think, the things that are happening in our society today are relevant to what we read in our history books. (And no, I am not just talking about how the present will one day be the past.) In the subject of history, many lessons throughout time repeat themselves. You can tie these lessons back to things going on right now in America, or even thing happening around the world.


In order to be a successful teacher, you must be enthusiastic so that the students are willing to engage in your lessons. This holds true in everything from the way you teach, how you answer questions, and the assignments you give. I plan to be creative in the way that I plan my lessons and format my class. A boring environment makes teenagers want to sleep, rather than learn something new. An exciting and lively environment, will keep the typical teenager's attention, giving them the ability to learn in new ways. It is important for my students to know that I am fully dedicated to help them succeed. I want them to see me as a positive role model in their life, not fear me. If students have any kind of fear for me, they will never feel comfortable enough to talk to me about things happening in their personal life. I want the kids to be willing to talk to me, so that I can help them in any way with life outside of the classroom. I want my teaching environment to be one where everyone feels comfortable to ask questions, help others, and be themselves. All of the points I mentioned are from the readings of Freire, Ohanian, DiGiulio, and Ayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment